Had breakfast and then we were waiting to be picked up by 'Marc' to take us to the hospital for pre op tests. We noticed another couple and a chap on his own, also hanging about the lobby and realised that they must be there for the surgery too. My travelling buddy went up and asked them and they confirmed it. I had thought that I would be on my own to be honest and felt a little bit weird... like it was a bit of a conveyor belt system, but my fears were soon allayed because it was nice to have the others there to talk too.
We were taken to the hospital where we met another couple of people also there to have the surgery. M was there with D having a gastric band like me, LJ was having a r/y bypass and so was N who was there with dad J. Another chap D was having the gastric band too, and he was there on his own.
It was nice to be all sitting together and discussing things. It made me feel like I wasnt being stupid, and that I was not alone and there must be a LOT of people having this surgery in the UK. I mean... there were 5 of us there, and they operate on Monday, Wednesday and Friday so thats around 15 a week. Thats a lot of operations a year.
The Dietitian Martine Harsfinger came and talked to us as a group and then individually and gave us forms to fill in and then sent us off for the blood tests. The best blood test I have ever had! Didnt feel the needle at all, and had NO bruise. I think thats amazing!! I was very impressed with the facilities too as we went to another part of the hospital to have the tests.
Then we came back and spent I think quite a long time talking with Marc and other things and we were waiting for Dr Dillemans to come to talk with us about it all. It was a long day and I was really starving by the time we left the hospital. Dillemans came to the room and sat down and explained the procedure and it was a bit 'technical' and I still had a lot of questions, so I asked him at the end. He was a very good chap and had no problem with the fact I didnt want to have blood either. His reaction when I told him that made me feel very safe and confident in his abilities. After all he is supposedly one of the best bariatric surgeons in Europe. I felt good about the op.
So a VERY long day - picked up at 10am, back at hotel (by bus) by 3:30pm!
We went out after that around the town and Brugge is beautiful. It is the most beautiful city I think I have ever been to. Outstanding architecture and lovely people. Everyone spoke such wonderful English and it was a joy to be there.
We went out, my travelling buddy and I, to a lovely bistro in the evening where I had a £50 bottle of Chateauneuf Du Pape and the most thrilling 'last supper' ever. It was lovely. I can still see it behind my eyes! A feast of rare smoked duck, fois gras, steak and different salads and topped off with a chocolate pudding. gorgeous.
We went back to the hotel and sat in the bar to have a few drinks before I was nil by mouth at midnight, and were soon joined by D & M, LJ and his mate K, and D. We had a rip roaring night and a great laugh and all of us, or so we thought, were looking forward to our surgery in the morning.
We retired to our teeny beds for a good (!) nights sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment